As a parent, you are your child's first and most influential teacher.
The Family Center can help you lay a strong foundation for your child's future success. The Family Center strengthens and supports families and communities.
Each Family Development Specialist is certified in the Parents as Teachers Curriculum (PAT), an evidence-based curriculum.
To support children and their families by emphasizing positive child development, encouraging economic self-sufficiency, connecting families to needed services, and establishing an early positive link between families and school.
The Family Center offers these services to families in the Farrell Area School District:
- Personalized home visits by a Family Development Specialist, certified in the evidence-based Parents as Teachers curriculum.
- Group meetings with other parents, where you can share experiences and gain new insights.
- Information and guidance on preparing for your baby, home safety, positive child development, effective discipline, constructive play, and more.
- Book clubs providing pre-reading and writing activities, costumed character days, and other literacy activities.
- Child health and developmental screenings to ensure that your child has no undetected learning, sensory (hearing and vision), or developmental delays.
- Networking opportunities that can help you find special services, if needed, that are beyond the scope of the Family Center.
- A toy and book lending library for children and families.
- Father focused activities to help fathers and children bond.
- Parenting classes focused on a variety of topics.
All families who have children up to age five and/or are pregnant who live in Farrell or Wheatland are eligible regardless of income.
The only cost for Family Center services is the family's commitment and willingness to be a part of their child's education.